The History of Heyde Pillow VFW Post 1301
Early in 1934, a group of veterans of Williamson County met for the purpose of organizing a new Veterans of Foreign Wars Post.
The name of Heyde — Pillow was chosen for the new post in memory ofAlbert D. Heyde and Earl H. Pillow.
Albert D. Heyde was the son of George C. and Jennie Heyde. He was married to Vanolo Haverporth. One son was born of this marriage.
Albert enlisted in the Army April 23, 1917 at Omaha, Nebraska. He went overseas June 1, 1917.
He was attached to Company L, 16ff Infant1Y, 1 Division.
Albert fought in the battles of Bathlémont, Rancourt, and Cantigny. He was wounded at the Battle of Cantigny and died in a First Aid Hospital. There is no record of the exact date of his death.
Prior to his entering in the Army, he was a merchant.
World War I & Interwar• 1917-1941
16th Infantry Areas of Operation in France 1917-1918
Raid at Bathlémont 3 November 1917
Montdidier-Noyon Defensive (Cantigny) 27April -7July 1918
Earl H Pillow, son of Mr. & Mrs. George W. Pillow, enlisted in the Army April 29, 1918. He went overseas just 21 days later, May 19, 1918.
He was attached to Company M., 311th Infantry. He attained the rank of Corporal. He fought in the battles of Arras and St. Mihiel. He was wounded while leading his crew in routing a machine gun nest at Grand Prix in the Argonne Forest. He was carried form the field to Base Hospital #19, Vichy, France, where he died November 25, 1918. He was a bookkeeper prior to entering the service.
The National Organization of the Veterans of Foreign Wars granted a Charter to Heyde
Pillow Post 1301 March 25 1934. The first meeting of the new post was held March 28, 1934 with George R. Baker as Commander, Claude Choate as Adjutant, Comrades Aud Moore, Robert King, and Charles Sullion were elected to membership at the first meeting.
The first meeting, and all others up to and including August 29, 1934 were held at the Moose Hall. Dues were $1.00 per year.
The 20th through the 36th meetings were held at the Hod Carriers Hall, on East Main, Marion, IL. No record exists of the location of meetings after the 36th meeting until January 9, 1935 and through 1943 at which time the meetings were at City Hall.
The Post started meeting at the Norman Hall on West Jackson street Gust off North Market) July 18, 1945.
The membership of Heyde Pillow Post 1301 voted on February 6, 1946 to purchase the Lewis Building (305 West Main, Marion, IL) for $14,000.00 with $6000.00 down and balance at 4% interest. Adolph Farris offered to pay $2000.00 of this down payment due to the fact that a 30-day notice was required to cash Government Savings Bonds.
At the meeting on October 29, 1947, the membership voted to pay off the mortgage on the post home at 305 W. Main.
At the meeting on July 26, 1950 the membership voted to borrow money from the burial fund at 6% interest to remodel the post home.
On August 16, 1950 the motion was made by Absher, seconded by Adams to send out invitations to all posts in the old 10thdistrict announcing the opening of Heyde Pillow Post 1301 's newclub rooms.
In the mid 1950's Heyde Post 1301 purchased the old Good Hope School property located 9 miles south of Marion near the present Lake of Egypt. The school building and one acre was purchased for $700.00. This property was expanded to approximately 17 acres at a later date. The school house was remodeled for club rooms, a 3 acre lake was built, 700 Pine trees were planted, and playground equipment was installed in the succeeding years. This property had approximately $7 to $8,000.00 invested in it before being sold in 1976 for $25,000.00
On September 25, 1964 a special meeting was called of the corporation to consider the following resolution: " Shall the officers of Heyde Pillow Post 1301 and Auxiliary Memorial Corporation acquire a site for the construction of new club facilities and club rooms, seek the advantageous sale or disposition of present club rooms and facilities in connection with such acquisition of site and new construction of facilities and club rooms, and to determine the best means of financing such acquisition of site and construction?" the resolution carried with 135 yes votes, 52 no votes and there were 2 spoiled ballots. officers of the Corporation at this time were: President —John Dawes, Vice- President — Alma Allen, Secretary-Treasurer — Ted Bill Walker, and the Directors were Paul Mitzdarffer, Joe Speers, Mary Ella Dungey, and Haskell Hunter.
On October 22, 1964 the above Officers wrote a check for $15.0()0.00 for the purchase of 30 plus acres where the Post is now located.
Approximately $11.000.00 was paid to the Post for hi — line right of way on this property in 1976.
At the meedng on June 27, 1977, during the administration of Commander Wilson Giles, a motion was made and carried to appoint a building committee, the committee appointed was: Loren Sutton — Chairman, Lawrence Absher, Dale Heltsley, Stan Fikuart, Jim Eveland, Rex Hindman, Jerry Davie, Bill Sinks, and Jim Cagle.
Ground was broken August 8, 1977. The new Building started arriving October 1, 1977, and construction started soon afterward.
The new Post home opened for business on January 31, 1978.
Much is left to be completed, but we all have something to be proud of.
A serving bar for the Ball Room, cabinets in the kitchen, carpet, Blacktopping the parking lot, and many other items will be completed in the near future.
We have prided ourselves in years gone by in having a family club, and it shall remain so.
We anticipate playing Bingo on Sundays afternoon in the near future. So please, frequent your club and make it even better. We are only as good as our membership input.
Prepared and delivered by John Dawes during dedication ceremony for new Post home
North of Marion, IL 3-25-78